Friday, May 15, 2009

Here's what we've been up to lately....

Introducing, the fabulous, Mael....



This is Mael, Lauren's friend who presented us with a formal invitation the other day for Lauren to come over for a playdate, at their family's apartment.

When I first met this girl, I immediately adored her. I wish I could accurately describe the look on her face when we first met. I can say that I've never (and yes I mean never) seen such a smile. It was as if she (or her expression) was saying, "look...we're finally meeting...isn't it just so wonderful." Can you see it? Well, okay, how about: try to imagine the look on your best friend's face if you both just found out that you had won a million dollars. That was Mael's expression to me the first time I ever met her. I was wondering, "wow...were you praying for us to come? Did you already meet us in a dream?" But, of course, I didn't ask that; I just tried to return a smile with something near the enthusiasm of hers. Since that first magical moment, every morning she greets Lauren and makes sure that she's done her Cantine card (to order lunch), and that she had a good evening etc, chatting away to her as she brings her into the school. Mael also has asked me twice if we'll be back next year. I told her I hope so, but I think I better be clear with her that, realistically it will take quite a few months or even a year or more before we know. Microsoft isn't doing many relocations these days, and the chance of a relocation soon is slim. She has ensured that she will have our address to write us when we're not here. Mais oui, bien sur!

Her brother, Gwendal is also one of Annika's favorite classmates. He's a sweet boy too, funny and observant. He reminds me of a cross between my nephews Justin and Ryan.

At first, I thought their mom was unfriendly, and I wondered how she could have such amicable kids when she seemed so reserved, stone faced as far as I could tell, and seemingly pretty no-nonsense with the kids. She and I were both parent volunteers a few weeks ago at a swimming class. She didn't say one word to me, and even when I spoke to her, but she walked away, not hearing me. But then another day I struck up a conversation with her and, sure enough, though still not exactly chatty, she flashed a smile you could warm your hands by, and I thought, "Okay, there it is". Karine is her name, and she works part time at a retirement home. Her husband, Phillipe, is a policeman, so they live in the state housing for policemen...it's an apartment building right down the road from the school. Phillipe said that if we ever need anything, information or anything, just give him a call. Sweet. A policman that we know personally who offered to help if we need anything!

So, after Lauren's playdate with Mael, we were walking home and the girls were nagging me to go out for crepes. Then it started to rain, and my resolve weakened.
.


This is a creperie that we pass on the hill everyday. And everyday, they have the Runicula bouquets that are so incredibly beautiful. And can you see the flowering lilac plant hanging outside? It was a humid night and the smell was so divine that I could not resist standing under them, and then once the owner Patrick came out find out what I was doing, I could not resist going in.




You will need to click on this one to see the details of the lilac, and outside bouquets.



Do you see the glasses are hanging on the back of a winding staircase? It leads up to the home of the owners of this restaurant. As is typical in Dinan, the shop owners also live at their shop. It's like a storybook or at least Sesame Street in the "these are the people in your neighborhood" way...or maybe that was Mr. Rogers. In any case, it reminds of another time when it was individuals, yes real people and not corporations or franchises that moved the commerce of the city.

Music Class

Today, I went with Annika's class to their music lesson at the main music school in town. The kids are working on a show for the end of the year. They're doing interpretive movement to a classical piece (not sure which one it is yet), and the kids are fish and some are "the whale" with a sheet, some intruments and lots of "swimming" around the stage. It's going to be fabulous.



Here we are walking to class...



Ooops. I'm is distracting her, and she's not one not to pose.



Speaking of which...here are some photos I took and St. Malo a few weeks ago. (I know, I wish I'd gotten more pink rubber boot and less space at the top)


Random shots of Annika at the beach at St. Malo a few weeks ago. (They were just too cute for me to not put in).



Peter's boat.

I hope to get a shot of Peter soon. He has a great face. It's calm and kind. There is a kind of peace that I'm not used to seeing that I see in the face of this man who's been sailing the world for at least the last 7 years. I don't know what he did before; I just know he got the sailboat 7 years ago. ll have him for lunch or dinner sometime, hopefully.

Also, another bit of news is that I started my language exchange yesterday with Dablan. He brought a recipe for me in French because, he reasoned, it comes with a picture so that would help me to learn vocabulary (he's a University Professor of Geography). He teased me that Canadians and Americans don't know anything about cooking, so maybe I could learn some important things through these "recipe lessons". I took offence of course, and tried to defend our whole continent. I do personally know a number of Canadians and Americans who can cook. I was a terrible representative though; the truth soon revealed itself (doesn't it always eventually) when I didn't know the difference between a turnip and a parsnip...as well, I didn't know why you would hang a filet of beef in a boullion from a string and a stick rather than just let it drop in the broth. Well, Dablan informs me it's because the bottom of the pot is way too hot and that will overcook the beef, don't you know?

Okay, but I got him back because I had prepared for him a lesson on The Tale of Despereaux and it opens with the main character's mother who is a vain, no, narcissitic, and yes, French, mouse, named Antoinette. Dablan laughed. He can dish it out and take it. He seems like a very joyful soul, and, again, I'm so lucky that he agreed to do this exchange with me. In fact, I better go because he's determined to learn English, he tells me, so he wants to meet again tomorrow, so I better get preparing that lesson.

One last bit of news is that the Yamamoto family whom I love so much are all coming here in June; well most of them at least, and to Paris at least. The King family will come here to Dinan, and then we'll all go meet the whole gang. It's just super darling!

A la prochain...

2 comments: