Wednesday, October 7, 2009

Driving away from the bus stop this morning, just me and my big empty van, no longer constantly eligible for HOV, I realized (okay..again I realized...what can I say? I'm a slow learner) THAT my kids are getting so grown up.

Annika is newly 6 and newly a little independent social butterfly. Well, she's always been a social butterfly, but now it's more of a fulltime job. This morning, she was talking to herself, practicing I guess for situations she supposed she might encounter later in the day. As she sat clumsily but persistently tying her shoes (another new skill), she mumbled, "Hi guys! (with enthusiasm), How are you?". There was no one around her, so I had to assume she was "practicing".

Then as she was climbing in the car, she quietly said (with feeling), "I'm so sorry". I asked, "what for?" And she replied, "oh, nothing".

And then Lauren is like a little 4th grade college student, so diligent and capable of amazing academic feats. She studies every night, and she's motivated to do all her homework and seek excellence in her projects. She is seriously making meteoric rises in her academic career. She's getting 100% on tests, her spelling has gone from sloppy to stellar in 5 weeks. And all this drive is coming from within herself.

It's weird how I can now step back from my role as super involved homeschooling mom, and watch my amazing kids go out on their own everyday. It still makes my head and heart spin some days.

1 comment:

  1. o i agree! my oldest is the only one in full time school and it is already affecting me! bitter sweet! we should get together for a latte one day soon w/o kids :)

    ReplyDelete