Wednesday, September 9, 2009

What I've been up to lately

This week I've been (re)learning how to make a video: producer, director, script manager, camera, talent and editor. Now I remember why I love this medium so much. I've had a looooooooooong absence from this artform and it feels good come back to it.

I've done one short job application video in my bid to become the Verity Mom.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=43FAPb6jrbE

Last week, I was preparing my kids to go to fulltime school for the first time. Lauren is just coming off of two years of homeschooling and Annika is starting K. After one week of school supply shopping and another week of "staggered start" for Ks, on Tuesday they both excitedly stepped aboard that yellow bus, their adorable selves, with their books and their warm lunches all tucked away in their backpacks. We were all smiles and kisses and waves, when suddenly, it hit me. I forgot to prepare myself for this moment when my little hearts would venture all alone (aka without me) into that big world.

The kids were great, but I had a minor emotional breakdown. It blindsided me, but I've got a lot of new adventures to enjoy: my job prospects, my video projects, driving with the volume cranked up on the stereo.

As well, I've been monitoring/observing/researching Annika's recent Epilepsy diagnosis and then the anti-seizure prescription. It's tricky to know if her behavioral changes are due to nerves about starting K (Kindergarten) or neurochemicals from starting the other K (Keppra), so I'm just doing some studies in the field before I make my final call on it, and I'm increasing her dosage slowly. So far, thank God, no more seizures.

1 comment:

  1. Hi Cat, the link to youtube is not live. I like your blogging (what I've read so far). I'm so glad you caught (with sound) the interaction with your little one. I've two as well, and it's always a balance. Wonderful reflection!

    Racheal Wright

    ReplyDelete