Sunday, September 13, 2009

Annika is okay... in spite of us.

I've been working on a video project this week, and I accidentally left the camera recording on a chair when I didn't know it. I then had the chance to listen (no picture because the lense cap was on) to the girls and me going about our business. After a few minutes, I started noticing that Lauren and I would engage in conversations about homework or some such "serious" issue, and when Annika would pipe in, we'd not hear her. She had to repeat herself, at times loudly, for us to finally acknowledge her, or, worse, she'd give up trying to get a response from either one of us.

I was startled and sad.

It might be just that she was saying, "I've got a magic wand!" or "I love bunnies", and it doesn't seem relevant at the time, but it is. Because it's important to her. I've been making an effort the past few days to always affirm her statements or questions.

I'm so happy about her Kindergarten teacher. Annika's demeanor has become remarkably more calm over the past week and she's decided school is great. Today, she and I were driving when I heard the cute voice from the back seat quietly mentioning, "Mrs. Harrod says I do quality work". I looked over my shoulder quickly to see her beaming (of course I was too), in her special Annika way, almost like she's talking to herself and in her own happy world.

No comments:

Post a Comment